9.27.2009

Changes

It's been months since I last posted - almost 9 months to the day - and so, so much has changed in that time. The "Christmas miracle" of last December ended just under a month later, in a storm of betrayal and spite. For the longest time, nothing was happening - I managed to focus on school, to ignore everything else; my friends began drifting away, and we rarely saw one another outside of class. All in all, it was school-life as usual, until April.

April, when I decided once and for all that I could live without 'him'.
April, when I realized just how much my life had changed from before.
April, when I met an old friend completely by accident...and started a new chapter in my life.

It all started with a simple decision - some friends of mine were going to go backpacking over the weekend, but 'he' was going, and I didn't feel up to dealing with him 24/2. So...last minute, I decided not to go. Instead, I hung out with my mom that Sunday, helping her pack up from an art show she'd had that weekend up at the church. And it was there that everything changed...

Be it fate or coincidence, a friend of mine was there helping his grandmother pack up her quilts. We'd met back when I was a freshman in high school, and he a junior; we'd been close, but the difference in our ages - and in our classes - had tugged us apart, and we hadn't talked since he'd graduated almost two years before. But when we met that day, it was as if that time apart didn't matter.

When I saw him, that day...not to sound clichéd, but it felt like time stopped - like nothing else mattered, it was just us...

It's hard to describe the next few moments - what I was thinking, how I was feeling - so perhaps it is best if I simply skip to the end. We exchanged phone numbers - or rather, he gave me his, but forgot to ask for mine... - and promised to text later, so we could catch up on all the time we'd missed.

That next Friday, on a whim, I sent him a text - and we got to talking. We planned to meet the next day, planning to see a movie and catch up over lunch, but that simple, innocent plan became something much more. We ended up hanging out for the rest of the day, grabbing dinner together and just sitting in the back of his truck talking. And, as those things tend to be, that one night together turned into many more as we started going out.

And now, five months later, not much has changed - we're still going out and happy as can be. Sure, we have our disagreements, but we know how to deal with them, and that's what matters.

Other than that...there really isn't much to say. School's started again, and I only have 5 classes this year - a 2nd through 6th schedule, so I get out early on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. For the moment, life is good...

1 comment:

Anh Ngo said...

katie, love-

i hope you are still happy today as you were in this post. i know it's been ages since we last conversed, but i am happy for you if you truly are happy. you deserve it.

:)

anh.